Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My rant about POP TARTS

For any of you who read this, I'm just letting you know that this is a rant about - yes - Pop Tarts.

I do realize that we live in what I call the "armpit" of NC...not only is it a rural area with fewer opportunities, generally less education, and lots of weird looks when I would do something really crazy like ride a bike to work (back when I was at the health department) or something even crazier like not eating pork rinds. I also understand that a sedentary and consequently large lifestyle is the norm here - almost the rule- and anything else seems a little off. Activity and making good choices about food on a regular basis can be challenging when the environment isn't exactly supportive. All that being said, does a one year old baby REALLY need PopTarts?????????

I'm asking for feedback here because maybe I'm just a freakin' nut....but I really think it's inappropriate that in this day of "obesity epidemics"(...AKA eating too much F' food that's crappy for you!....) and the lack of activity & poor food choices kids make - to serve them that. I mean, is it completely unreasonable to think that daycare can & should provide a different snack than Pop Tarts?? I know he's going to eat a bunch of junk at some point but we've been very conscious of giving him "good" stuff as much as possible. He's never had any fast food and won't for a good long time as long as he's with us. It's extremely rare that we eat any of that crap and don't want to have him grow up on it any time soon. I don't expect daycare to give him tofu...but Pop Tarts?? Really??? Plus, the daycare is supposedly Christian based - so how does serving crap to the kids fit into the whole 'body is a temple' thing???

And so here's the second part - we get a little daily report of what he eats & when we saw the Tarts listed, we told them we didn't want them served to him and they said OK, it seemed like no big deal. Well, of course, they served him Tarts last week and so I mentioned it this morning and - get this crap - in order for him to NOT have the Pop Tarts he has to have a DOCTOR'S NOTE saying he can't have them. Seriously??? Shouldn't it be the other way around????? Where the hell do we live that this is normal and that you have to have medical permission to pick a healthier option???

If I'm being crazy, please tell me. I know that as he goes to school the cafeteria isn't much better than Pop Tart Land but at least he'll be old enough so we can have discussions about it and talk about "choices" and all that stuff. But he's totally at their mercy with food at daycare!! Clearly you see what side of the issue I'm on here but I really want to see & hear if anyone else thinks I've fallen & bumped my head.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Unbelievable! I am in shock and awe! Do they KNOW what they are doing to those children? It's like the juice commercials that target kids too. "Juice is for kids!" Yeah, sugar in a glass! Serve it up with a pile of sugar on a plate in the form of a pop tart.

Deborah said...

Seriously?!?!?!? What about the parents' wishes? I can't believe you need a doctor's note to keep them from feeding crap to your child. I think that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. OK - must calm down or I am going to start ranting.

Nikki said...

uh - no one needs pop tarts. ever. it's nothing but candy in a square. Seriously - pack a banana and insist that be served as his snack. I'm sure your doctor would agree.

Kelly said...

I think you should have your doctor write a note to the day care that says NO CHILD can be considered safe by consuming Pop Tarts thereby saving all the kiddos from the consequences of "candy in a square" (well put Nikki)!

Jody said...

I would leave that place. That is the wrost rule I have ever heard! Really? I am shocked. It is not even worth educating them! Even dr's don't like juice.... WOW!