Monday, January 4, 2010

What Chan learned from 2009 (and Ethan)

So I posted Jason's learning experiences earlier - here's mine. I could probably go on & on for about a month, but here are some that I can condense fairly easily.

* I learned that the dogs are actually dogs. I know, it's sad...I was sad when I had that realization too. I do still think that they are family members & all "that" dog stuff, but they have been demoted and I think it's sad. That's one of the worst things about having a baby. However, when Ethan moves out, they will be promoted again. But I will also say that there are similarities - it's not like we're talking about an alien & a dinosaur, where there are NO similarities!
* Even though I exercise a lot and really enjoy it, it's extremely hard to make it part of the day now...but for my emotional sanity it's extremely important that we both do that. It's harder than I expected but also probably more important than I thought it would be, all at the same time.
* Eastern NC will definitely not be our home forever...for a lot of reasons, but mostly due to the lack of opportunities & resources for Ethan and for us as parents.
* Jason is an even better dad than I expected - and the bar was set pretty high to begin with! =)
* It's important to pick your battles - whether it's with Ethan, doctors, daycare, Jason or whatever....some things are worth drawing the line and some things are not. Period. It's always a balance of figuring out- is the effort worth the drama?? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
* Having choices is a gigantic luxury in soooo many ways
* Most of all, I'm really grateful that his first year is over and that I survived. It was harder than I ever could have imagined.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I TOTALLY identify with the dog comments. I remember being pregnant, looking at Io and being afraid that I might not be able to love a baby more than I love him. I mean, I LOVE that dog. But alas, he has been demoted. Poor guy.