Friday we started camp off with the bus ride from Greenville. When we got there, we did some quick fun activities, then we had dinner and the "opening ceremony" since the theme was the China Olympics. After dinner, we were able to do a campfire and smores before the rain came. Actually it started during the campfire, but it was light enough to deal with it for a while. Then it was off to bed (eventually). I personally got almost no sleep that night.
The next morning started at 8am with breakfast. By now it was raining all night long and it actually rained all day - literally all day through the night. So several of our activities had to be modified. Our group picture was taken inside rather than outside at the river. The one thing that we could not do was the sailing...but everything else was able to be changed and brought inside the gym area. During the morning the groups circled to three different activities: nutrition education with ECU college students, arts & crafts with Nikki, and team building activities with camp staff. By then it's time for lunch again. After lunch, we had some additional arts & crafts, B-ball, free time, and loose activities planned...then late afternoon I had some friends come in to teach Tai-Chi for about 30 minutes or so. That was GREAT! After that we did some group relays and then it's time to eat dinner. After dinner, we had a wet hayride (rain was light then) and then the dance!
The funny thing was that the rest of the volunteers thought I was on the hayride and were setting up for my surprise baby shower - which I totally busted them on, although I didn't even realize what I had walked into having so many other logistical things on my mind. It was still a HUGE surprise to me.
So after the dance, eventually we all went to sleep and woke up to a beautiful sunny day on Sunday. We were able to offer them canoeing and archery (which was new!). After that, some parents and families were able to come and watch the talent show...words I use loosely! :) After the talent show there was lunch of course and then the bus ride back to Greenville. Long weekend but probably teh best camp that we've ever had!!
The next morning started at 8am with breakfast. By now it was raining all night long and it actually rained all day - literally all day through the night. So several of our activities had to be modified. Our group picture was taken inside rather than outside at the river. The one thing that we could not do was the sailing...but everything else was able to be changed and brought inside the gym area. During the morning the groups circled to three different activities: nutrition education with ECU college students, arts & crafts with Nikki, and team building activities with camp staff. By then it's time for lunch again. After lunch, we had some additional arts & crafts, B-ball, free time, and loose activities planned...then late afternoon I had some friends come in to teach Tai-Chi for about 30 minutes or so. That was GREAT! After that we did some group relays and then it's time to eat dinner. After dinner, we had a wet hayride (rain was light then) and then the dance!
The funny thing was that the rest of the volunteers thought I was on the hayride and were setting up for my surprise baby shower - which I totally busted them on, although I didn't even realize what I had walked into having so many other logistical things on my mind. It was still a HUGE surprise to me.
So after the dance, eventually we all went to sleep and woke up to a beautiful sunny day on Sunday. We were able to offer them canoeing and archery (which was new!). After that, some parents and families were able to come and watch the talent show...words I use loosely! :) After the talent show there was lunch of course and then the bus ride back to Greenville. Long weekend but probably teh best camp that we've ever had!!